Saturday, July 18, 2009

Anglais si vous plait


College life has it's perks. This weekend, the International Student and Scholar Institute funded a bonding/sightseeing weekend getaway for international students and those involved with the ISSI. Free transportation and a night stay at the Fairmont Montreal, a luxury hotel, were provided. Can't really beat that.
Twenty something of us piled onto the Peter Pan bus and headed to visit our Northern neighbor. After crossing the border successfully, we arrived midday in Montreal. It was a beautiful day and the perfect weather for a hike to the top of Mont Real. (<-Get it?)
Unprepared as we were, donning flip-flops and white high heels, we bush-whacked to the top of the mountain, and two hundred stairs later we were at the top. Thankfully the view was pretty great and thus a photo shoot ensued. After a sufficient number of tourist photos we headed inside to where our growling stomachs had been promised a decent meal. They were very disappointed when the said food was actually non-existent. But no worries, at least the way back was down-hill. The rest of the afternoon was free to find a nice Canadian meal, maybe a cocktail of some sort, and some exploring. Elisha and I settled on 3 Brassieurs, a restaurant brewery. The decor resembled UNO's but the food proved to be much more enjoyable. We marveled over the fact that the food there was fresh and healthy whereas the American counterpart would be greasy and cholesterol-rich. I also learned that beer, grenadine, and Sprite is not exactly a pleasant combo.
After checking into the five-star hotel that would be our home for the night, I ventured solo into the streets of the city. What I love most about Montreal and what I've seen of Canada is that although a lot of people think that it is similar to the U.S., it is much more European than American. The people are different, there is the aspect of French charm, and the romantic sounds of the motherland's tongue. The pace is different than that of Boston, a little slower, more laid-back and friendly. On my little outing I struck up a conversation with a couple colorful women from Ottowa. We chatted about Spain, fashion, Boston men, and how people in New England can be cold, and not just in the winter. As I talked to them and a couple other random people along my walk, I realized, once again, how true that is. I walk around Boston all day and rarely have a conversation with a stranger. I enjoy doing this but with most people it does not happen, and so I mind my own business in true New England fashion. Although this is what I'm used to, everytime I go away and return to Boston, I find myself yearning for that warmer culture of interaction.
The night started off wonderfully at Le Resident, a restaurant reccommended by a Montrealian, and it did not disappoint. The atmosphere was airy and warm, the drinks were yummy, and the food was delicious. The table was full of diverse smiling faces, laughter, and good conversation. From there it was time to head out on the town. A small group of us ended up first in Karina, a bar that advertised free drinks for the ladies but then did not follow through but we stayed anyways, if only for the intriguing contortionist aspect. The music was good, the drinks were reasonable and the crowd grew. When we were ready for a change we found ourselves in Havana. The sounds of Cola Loca coming from the club caught my ear quickly and I convinced everyone it would be great. Although the music delivered in true Cuban style, we arrived as the only ones and the crowd never grew. Although I reminisced as I danced to El Chacal in front of the bar stocked with Havana Club, it just could not live up to it's namesake and we headed out and to the hotel for the night.
The next day, although sleep-deprived, was relaxing and enjoyable. It started with breakfast in the Old Port, continued with the Biodome, and ended with a long trip back against the green backdrop of a summer New England sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment