Tuesday, July 13, 2010

This week has been a whirlwind of fun and great people, dancing, creepsters, delicious food, and the most adorable kids you will ever meet. I am sad that it is over because most of the great people that I met and became friends with this week are leaving and I feel like they are my friends that go way back and I will miss them so much. I have found that the friends I have met while traveling become fast friends and stay in your life for a long time. I hope that the latter is true for these chicos because they are great. I feel like every week here will be completely different and never knowing what will happen or who I will meet. We have met some crazy cool Ecuadorians and some chill gringos who are living and working here.
The other day we even met a guy who pretended to be Ecuadorian for half and hour, talking in a horrible English Ecuatorian accent until he said he studied in boston, NU to be exact and then confessed that he is actually from Philly and putting on the accent. Who does that? Oh the people we have met. I hope it never ends. On top of that, the number of creepers probably outweighs the number of normal men at least that I have encountered. I know that there is a chunk of it that is cultural but there is a line I draw between the two and these men continually seem to cross it.

We worked hard every day with the kids, teaching English and playing with them in the markets. It is so wonderful to work with them because they are so gracious and loving and beautiful. Some of them are incredibly smart too and pick up on new things really fast. We play games and color and read and dance and sing and have a good time before its time for them to go back to work. I know that by the end of six months with these munchkins I will surely be attached and wanting to stuff them all in my suitcase. But until then I am just trying to figure out what I am doing. I am going to be on my own to some extent at times and need ideas on lesson plans and games and songs. I am hoping that I pick it up as I go but it will be a challenge.

Every night after work we went out to celebrate the final days in Quito for some of my friends. Every night brought different craziness and stories and laughter and fun. We discovered some fun bars and cool clubs and danced our butts off to all sorts of music. We also watched the World Cup final games of course, down in the plaza in Mariscal with all the other fans. It was crazy and a lot of fun. Viva Espana!


No comments:

Post a Comment