Monday, June 14, 2010

Asa Wright Nature Centre

Yesterday we were reminded again of the beauty of this country. Tired and slightly hungover from a fun night the night before, we all piled into Ivan’s maxi taxi for the trip up into the rainforest. An hour’s drive through little neighborhoods along the mountainside and through the tall trees led us to a tiny narrow windy road down to the Nature Reserve. We walked up to a big white house that looked exactly what I would picture a grand home in the rainforest from the early 1900’s to look like. It was beautiful with high ceilings, tall shuttered doors, and a porch that overlooked miles of rain forested mountains covered in distant fog. Another mini paradise that I got to experience in this trip. We have been told that Trinidad is known for having the largest number of different birds species and yesterday we got to see at least some of them. I have never been much of a bird
watcher but I have never seen so many birds and all so different with bright colors and songs like I have never heard before. I saw four different types of hummingbirds within ten minutes. We went for a tour into the rainforest where we learned about the different trees and vines and flowers and birds. We heard a bird that sounds like a hammer hitting a metal pole or maybe a digeridoo and one that sounds like the sound effect when you die on Pac Man. Awesome. It felt wonderful to be out in the forest again, in nature and enjoying the smells and sounds and moisture and sights. So yummy.
Back at the ranch we relaxed, dozed off in big comfy chairs, and caught up with the Ghana vs. Serbia game. We caught word of a water hole and of course had to check it out so we walked up the road to a little path down to yet another mini paradise. Shaded by a circle of trees, there was a deep round clearwater pool and a small waterfall. We stripped down to our undies and dove in. I felt so refreshed and relaxed and rejuvenated. It’s was such a beautiful day and it refreshed me for the tough week of work we have coming. I think that our little trips that we have taken throughout our time here have helped to keep everyone sane and stress-free. Every time we are out in the forest or at the beach or out in the towns interviewing people, I feel like I get in touch with myself a little bit more and always learn something. I will miss these places, these mini paradises.
But I guess I’m just going to have to find some wherever I find myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment