Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dreadhead

So here’s an interesting news flash to those who didn’t know…I now have dreads. Everytime I look in the mirror I am kinda shocked. I just finished making them after a 3 day process of about 2 or 3 hours each, backcombing and palm rolling, and can’t believe I actually did it. Before this trip I never really considered giving myself dreads. I don’t know if it is because I see them so often here and I love them or if I feel like at this point in my life they might suit me, or maybe because I was sick of having unruly frizzy hair everyday in this heat. I guess a combination of all of those reasons brought me to watch a ton of youtube videos, ask for a lot of opinions, and finally take a comb to my hair. Whatever my reasoning, I guess it was the right decision since that’s the one I made. I also think it will be a fun experiment. Being in Trinidad, I half assumed that going into any hair salon or hair supply store might know something about dreadlocks or have some products, but every time I asked about it I got funny looks and crazy attitudes or just a blank stare. I guess that reaction could be for a variety of reasons, but it did get me thinking as to how this decision of a hairstyle will dictate my interactions with people from here on out. Will they judge me for my hairstyle either for good or bad? What about people who already know me, will they change their opinion of me? I’m not sure what will happen but I’ll keep you updated. So far so good. I have some nice bonding moments with the rastas walking down the street here when they nod and compliment my dreads or just say “rasta” as I walk by. I’m not rasta, but it’s still better than getting a “hey tourist” or kissing noises.


No comments:

Post a Comment