Monday, June 28, 2010

Reflections

The trip is over, we are no longer in Trinidad and I no longer sleep in a kitchen or see that wonderful group of people everyday. I just wanted to give some final reflections on the trip before I embark on my new one. This trip meant a lot to me and changed me in a way I hadn’t expected but wouldn’t change for a thing. On this trip, I learned so much about myself and what matters to me and what I believe in. It was very spiritual for me both externally and internally. I feel like I finally understand what spirituality means to me and now I can explore it. That alone is a huge gift from a trip such as this, a result that I wasn’t expecting from this type of trip, but every day, every moment, and every person we met gave me something that I took away and put it together all at the end to give me a piece of what I hope to discover about myself and life. The most important part of this for me has been how it made me feel about myself. The combination of sun, ocean, mountains, beauty, inspiring people, friends, music, and an unvisited place made me look in on myself, what matters to me, and what is just shit that I can let go of. It felt so good to get rid of stuff that I didn’t need weighing me down and to become more comfortable with the me I am already and the me I hope to be. The trip also meant a lot because of the people who I loved and hope to stay close with. We all got along so well and every time we were all together we had fun and enjoyed each other’s company. I had more fun going out with the whole group than I have had in awhile. Everyone was so much fun and we couldn’t help but be happy to be where we were, soaking in the music and dancing in Trinidad.
I am sad the trip is over, I feel that I could have stayed in Trinidad for much longer, furthering the strong connections that we made with the people there, learning more about the culture and traditions, maybe learning more about the aspects of culture I didn’t focus on including mas, carnival, calypso, rapso, soca, the Indian traditions, etc. There is so much I hope to learn about T&T in the future because it is a fascinating country with so much to offer. I was impressed by T&T and I fell in love a little bit, unsurprisingly. I hope to go back, I hope to see more, and I hope to take what I have learned during this trip and carry it with me forever, building upon it, returning back to it, and evolving it as I go through my own evolution.


No comments:

Post a Comment